A thorough renovation has transformed this all-inclusive into the perfect family-friendly gateway to the Riviera Maya.
Bahia Principe Grand Tulum may be only 20 minutes from the spectacular ruins of Tulum, but this all-ages all-inclusive brings guests even closer to Mayan heritage with just a step into the lobby. Thoroughly renovated two years ago, the beachfront resort went back to the region’s Origin for its new concept, honoring the culture, myths, and natural splendor of the Riviera Maya.
Today’s design draws inspiration from the enchantment of the senses as only Mayan tradition can do: the wild beauty of the jungle, the warm caress of the ocean, the vibrancy of local flavors. Spa treatments incorporate chocolate and coconut, as well as traditional techniques. Yucatan cuisine is highlighted at Tequila, from pozole, soup made with pork and chilis, to tacos. Décor across the grounds, including carved wooden accents in the rooms, speaks to ancient roots. No matter where you go on the property, you’re sure to find touches of Mayan influence—and a refresh that’s given new energy to the guest experience.
ENTERTAINMENT THAT HITS ALL THE NOTES
Bahia Principe Grand Tulum’s fun, social vibe is the first thing families will notice … after they pull their eyes away from the tropical gardens and Caribbean views. Find it in the lobby, at the main pool, and on the sundeck with its own wet bar, all fully renovated. Let it continue on in the upgraded theater, where two new, exclusive shows have added their own breath of fresh air.
Origin, named for the same design concept the resort adopted, is an original production exploring the Mayan roots of Mexican culture in three acts. Bright colors, magical elements, and indigenous traditions come center stage in this spectacle of history and wonder; a talented cast of singers, dancers, and acrobats brings it all to life.
Following a musical journey, Black Bird uses the songs of The Beatles to craft a poignant story through the emotions, told by more than 20 artists. Travel back into the ’60s and from nostalgia to reflection to euphoria in this interactive tribute that celebrates one of the world’s most beloved bands with laughs, romance, and joy.
DINE WITH PLEASURE
Cuisine is always central to the all-inclusive experience, and that’s no exception at this resort. In addition to Mexican restaurant Tequila, six unique venues let families be as adventurous or familiar as they like in bright settings with beautiful views:
- Buffet Yucatan, featuring an avant-garde design and international menu, including a separate one for kids
- Thali, offering the aesthetics and flavors of India
- Modernist restaurant Don Pablo, where items like juniper mousse on crisp salmon skin with roe, boletus mushroom crepes, and a chocolate trio provide gourmet bites from starter to dessert
- La Gran Tortuga, a seaside Brazilian rodizio
- The Truck, a casual food truck-style restaurant
- Andale Burger for satisfying grilled eats
Exchange privileges with Bahia Principe Grand Coba (rides there and back depart every 10 minutes) opens up even more options. At both properties, the à la carte restaurants call for semi-formal resort attire, so adults should keep that in mind while packing.
PLAYTIME, ALL THE TIME
Although the kids club already offered days’ worth of entertainment with its indoor and outdoor play areas, supervised activities, picnics, shows, and more, the brand-new children’s area has become the can’t-miss attraction for young travelers. Called Zamá after Tulum city’s original name, it’s where kids can learn about Mayan culture through interactive play. They’ll explore the “jungle,” uncover “artifacts” as archaeologists, and find out what life was like under the ancient gods. Of course, the sea gets its fair share of focus as well, thanks to cenote-inspired splash areas and a pool with slides.
Ten play areas in total ensure kids never get bored, from the ziplines and tunnels of the Jungle to the climbing along the Iguana to the water park guarded by giant Mayan masks. For educational fun, though, adults will appreciate the efforts of Eco Bahia, which teaches about local flora and fauna used by the Maya, and why their preservation is so important.
A VACATION THAT GIVES BACK
Yet even as the past is celebrated at this resort, so too is the future. Sustainability is just as front of mind here—and front of design. True to Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts’ commitment to responsible travel:
- Resource and management plans have been put into place for water, waste, and energy to promote conservation, sanitation, and recycling
- Partnership between the Bahia Principe Ecological Foundation and Mexico’s Flora, Fauna, and Culture agency continues to advocate for protecting biodiversity on land and in the ocean
- A circular economy helps to contribute to the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals
- Bahia Principe Grand Tulum has been certified several times over for its efforts, earning awards from the World Travel & Tourism Council, EarthCheck, and, for its meticulously maintained white-sand beach, the Mexican Institute for Standardization and Certification
With its transparent efforts, Bahia Principe Grand Tulum has made itself a hotel families can feel good about choosing—and created an equally enjoyable experience on site. A premier resort from a brand devoted to happiness. An excellent entrance into the Mayan world. And a place where kids and adults of all travel- and lifestyles can feel at home. Renovations have certainly raised the bar here, but the joyfulness of a stay remains delightfully the same.